Friday, June 21, 2013

Travel wishlist top 10 part 2

By Image Editor (originally posted to Flickr as Northern Lights) [CC-BY-2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
6. Northern Lights in the Arctic circle
I'm not sure if I should admit this, but I first decided that I wanted to see the aurora borealis after reading Phillip Pullman's Northern Lights. The idea that the shimmering Arctic sky could be a veil between us and another world completely captivated my imagination. However, even if I don't get transported to a magical land, I think the northern lights are one of the strangest and most fantastic phenomena on Earth. They are something so strange, other-worldly and beautiful yet they actually exist! My choice of location would be northern Europe, either Sweden or Norway, wherever I can get the best view guaranteed!

7. The Wildlife of Canada
Attribution is to be given to Dmitry Azovtsev. When using on the Web, a link to http://www.daphoto.info is appreciated. [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0) or CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
I had never considered going to Canada until I got chatting to a Canadian couple on the collectivo one day in the Osa Peninsula. I've always imagined it to be a beautiful place, with glorious forests which glow in the autumn, vast lakes and snow-tipped mountains, but this sounds like something I could see much closer to home, for example, in Austria. It wasn't until my new friend started mentioning how a family of grizzly bears walked past his car one day and how his wife was once confronted by a wolf in the garden that I began to realise what makes Canada stand out. Therefore, whilst I would surely enjoy the beautiful forests and scenery of Canada, I would also want to go home with a few tales of characteristic mega-fauna. On my tick list would be all 3 bear species: black bears, grizzly bears (preferably salmon fishing!), and polar bears (or maybe a grolar bear!). A wild cat species, a wolf, an arctic fox, a raccoon, a moose and whale watching!

8. The best of Brazil
 My first yearning to visit Brazil came a long time ago, when I did a project on the Amazon rainforest at school. I don't see how anyone can not be drawn to the hyper-diverse rainforests of the tropics, with their luscious vegetation and what seems like an endless list of species, most not even discovered yet! A week or two trekking around this beautiful steaming forest would be a dream come true. I would also love to visit Rio de Janeiro for carnival to experience the vibrant colours and try some traditional South American food.
By lubasi (Catedral Verde - Floresta Amazonica) [CC-BY-SA-2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
9. The cities of Italy
 Back in Europe, I've been keen to explore the cities of Italy. Italy is a country steeped in culture and history: It's got Roman ruins, a city with water instead of roads, mosaics, pillars, mountains, lakes and delicious food. If that wasn't a big enough hint, I want to visit Rome, Venice, the lakes and have a tour of Florence from my sister, who lived in Tuscany for a year. I'd like to see all the classical art and architecture, the legacy the Romans left behind and try some pizza and pasta how it is supposed to taste! I'm getting hungry just thinking about it...
By Wknight94 (Own work) [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)], via Wikimedia Commons
10. The Galapagos Islands 
As a Mecca for nature-lovers, the Galapagos had to make it on to my list. Arguably the birthplace of Darwinism, these islands are famed for their large number of endemic species, which even vary between islands. Of course, the main aspect of a trip here would be wildlife - giant tortoises, marine iguanas going for a swim, Galapagos penguins, mockingbirds and tanagers. The large number of visitors has been a threat to the biodiveristy, but greater awareness of responsible travel is decreasing this problem, so when I visit, I will be sure to be green.
By David Adam Kess (Own work) [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment